Volunteer at MHP!
Neighbors helping neighbors is a long-standing MHP tradition. MHP is actively seeking volunteers to assist with community fairs, the backpack program, toy drives and overall organizational support in our office. One time volunteer days can also be arranged for larger groups of volunteers. We also work with student volunteers and provide Student Service Learning hours.
NOTE: We are adjusting our opportunities to comply with health and safety precautions to limit exposure. For more information, contact Charlotte Garvey, (301) 812-4138.
Office/Administrative Volunteers Event Staff – Serve on a committee for event planning and promotion, or help out the day of an event. There are always things to do, including making phone calls to drive attendance, transporting supplies, and carrying equipment and setting up/cleaning up the venue, etc.
Neighborhood Surveyors – Use your networking abilities and computer data entry skills to help our Neighborhoods outreach team complete various surveys, track important findings, and enter the data in our systems. Bilingual in English/Spanish extremely helpful.
Community Gardeners – We’ve built community gardens at several of our properties in Rockville, Gaithersburg, Takoma Park, and Silver Spring the past few years and are in need of skilled gardeners who can help install rain barrels, teach our residents and children how to maintain their plots, and offer ongoing encouragement and advice on growing healthy foods.
Offer your professional talents pro-bono – We need photography, graphic design, and data management, etc.
Give testimonials – Would you be willing to share your story on how your life has been impacted by our services and volunteer experiences? We’d love to hear about it and possibly use your testimonial on our website or in marketing materials.
Year Round – Help MHP provide affordable housing by working in the MHP office in Silver Spring. We will try to match your skills and talent to a department within MHP.
Back to School – July – August At the beginning of every school year, we strive to supply a backpack for the 300 students living in MHP developed communities. From preschool to high school, kids need basic school supplies that many of our families simply can not afford to buy. How can you help?
- Adopt a Building of Kids – Organize a group from your church, business or organization and adopt one of MHP’s communities providing between 5 and 50 backpacks. We provide you with a supplies list and you do the shopping and stuffing of the backpacks. Your group can join in the fun when the backpacks are given to the kids at a Back To School Party in August.
- Adopt a Family – Fill one or two backpacks for a family in need. We will supply the list and you do the shopping and stuffing. We will provide you with a drop off point close to your home. Contact if your family can help.
- Give us your financial support – Don’t have time to shop and stuff? Make a financial donation and we will do the shopping and stuffing.
HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE November thru December during the holiday season, our families enjoy a variety of holiday parties and events. Help us to make the events memorable by helping with these events:
- Toy Drive –Working with partners in the community, MHP coordinates a large toy drive so that all the children in our 20 communities in Montgomery County receive toys during the Holiday season. If your organization, business or family can adopt an entire building (50-75 gifts) or just a family, contact Charlotte Garvey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Angels for Children Toy Drive – In the Wheaton/Kensington area of Maryland, the Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce and Wheaton Rescue Squad places donation boxes for new toys in well traveled areas. We need volunteers with trucks to pick up toy donations and deliver them to the “workshop.” Please contact: Charlotte Garvey if you can place a donation box in your business or if you can help with pick ups.
- Super Wrap Day –It’s like being in Santa’s Workshop! Join us on Saturdays as we wrap and sort over 1,500 toys in the Wheaton/Kensington area. Come for an hour or stay all day, contact: Charlotte Garvey, email@example.com.
- Financial Donation – Can’t help wrap but want to help? Make a donation to help us buy toys, wrapping paper, tape, party refreshments and more.
Or you can call 301-622-2400 X38 for current opportunities.